apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util/buckets apr_buckets_file.c
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 14:07:49 GMT
On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> I am teetering on a -1 for this patch. You are hacking around a more
> fundamental problem. If we cannot fix problems like this w/o impacting
> the performance of all applications that need to read files, then APR
> is seriously broken.

Well, that's probably true.  But please don't -1 the patch.  If you're
going to -1 something, -1 APR's lack of an apr_file_read()-like function
that takes an offset as a parameter.  Until APR has such a beast (which
will just have to do the lock and seek on its own), this is the correct
patch to the buckets, which are broken without it.

PS: The common case for this segment of code is that the offset will be
non-zero, since it reads in from a file in 8KB hunks, incrementing the
offset each time.  So removing the conditional actually (very slightly)
improves the performance of this section for the common case.  Only the
case where offset == 0 might be negatively impacted.

   Cliff Woolley
   Charlottesville, VA

View raw message