apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Sander Striker" <stri...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Pools in threads
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2001 07:05:40 GMT
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 01:54:14AM +0200, Luke Kenneth Casson
> Leighton wrote:
> > ah, yes, but it _is_ supported by DCEthreads - see
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/freedce which provides,
> > horror-of-horrors, thread cancellation *emulated* on
> > top of POSIX threads.
> [snip, snip]
> > ... but what i am basically saying is, on NT and Unix,
> > thread cancellation _is_ possible, it's just that i
> > think you might not be too happy about the coding-route
> > you might have to take to _do_ it :) :)
>
> Possible, but not robust.

DCE/RPC is _very_ robust. That being the case its underlying
mechanisms are very likely to be robust too.

> And, it would add 3.5 million lines of code to APR.

Nah. It would add the lines to add thread cancellation.  The
3.5 million LOC is the _entire_ dce rpc codebase. Only part
of that is the dce threads library. And, I believe there are
some old dce/rpc team members in our midst who could know how
this all fit together. I could be wrong though.

Sander