apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Sander Striker" <stri...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Pools in threads
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2001 17:52:46 GMT
>>> Fair enough. It's just that in order to opt-out of the
>>> child-pool creating
>>> process in apr_thread_create, we're going to have to add a parameter
>>
>> Why are we so desperate in opting out the child-pool creation?
>> I don't really have problems with a child pool for each thread.
>> Actually, it will make the dynamic locking a lot easier to implement
>> if it stays.
>
> The problem is that apr_thread_create is completely bogus right now.
>
> The child thread has no access to that pool in apr_thread_t->pool.
> If you want a pool in the thread, you should be creating inside
> of the thread's function not in apr_thread_create.

I can live with that. It's the registration of the thread with
the parent sms [when/if pools==sms] that has my interest :)

> And, apr_thread_exit call should *not* be taking in an apr_thread_t
> because the child doesn't have access to that either.

Can't we pass in a data structure to the thread function which has
all the required information? The data the user wants to pass in will
need to be in the data structure aswell ofcourse.

> We're enforcing the use of global variables to work around this and
> that's plain wrong.  -- justin

Yes, I agree.

Sander