apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <i...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: APR Error Handling
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2001 20:52:29 GMT
On 09 Jul 2001 13:11:07 -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > Hi.
> > I've got a simple library/test app which uses APR.
> > I would like to also use it in a apache module..
> >
> > the problem I'm seeing is that ap_log_[rp]error is in server/log.c
> > so I can't use that if It's not HTTP.
> >
> > I was wondering if there should be something in the APR code a APR
> > routine can call and which ap_log_Xerror would call to actually write
> > the error out.
>
> ap_log_Xerror are web server specific.  APR provides apr_strerror to
> provide a string interpretation of the error, but a function to write the
> error string to stderr is beyond the scope of APR.

so how do we handle error loging in other libraries like apr-util??
all I can see is that they pass APR_EGENERAL back to the caller.
which If the app doesnt seg fault is probably next to useless in trying
to track down the error

maybe there needs to be a method of registering error numbers/functions
so that apr_sterror knows that error 1230981 is from apr-util and would
call apr-util's function it registered to show the error message.

> Ryan

> Covalent Technologies			rbb@covalent.net
Ian Holsman
Performance Measurement & Analysis