apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject RE: SMS usage patterns, hierarchies
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:38:19 GMT
At 01:01 PM 07/11/2001, dean gaudet wrote:
>i know nothing about the quality of windows malloc on multi-cpu boxes.

As of VC++ 6.0 SP4:
There is a small block freelist for blocks 0x3F8 or smaller.  It uses
a critical section around the allocator.  Anything larger falls
through to the HeapAlloc Win32 API function.  The allocator uses
HeapAlloc and VirtualAlloc to get its own blocks.  These use a
private heap created for the CRT.  According to the help, these
functions are serialized to prevent access by multiple threads to the
same heap.

Greg Marr
"We thought you were dead."