apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject RE: SMS usage patterns, hierarchies
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:38:19 GMT
At 01:01 PM 07/11/2001, dean gaudet wrote:
>i know nothing about the quality of windows malloc on multi-cpu boxes.

As of VC++ 6.0 SP4:
There is a small block freelist for blocks 0x3F8 or smaller.  It uses
a critical section around the allocator.  Anything larger falls
through to the HeapAlloc Win32 API function.  The allocator uses
HeapAlloc and VirtualAlloc to get its own blocks.  These use a
private heap created for the CRT.  According to the help, these
functions are serialized to prevent access by multiple threads to the
same heap.

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu