apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: SMS usage patterns, hierarchies
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:33:03 GMT
Greg Marr wrote:

> At 01:01 PM 07/11/2001, dean gaudet wrote:
>
>> i know nothing about the quality of windows malloc on multi-cpu boxes.
>

> As of VC++ 6.0 SP4:
> There is a small block freelist for blocks 0x3F8 or smaller.  It uses
> a critical section around the allocator.  Anything larger falls
> through to the HeapAlloc Win32 API function.

Except that on Win2k, the CRT library configures itself (dynamically, at
program startup) to pass every single malloc off to HeapAlloc, thereby
slowing small block allocation tremendously. In the project I work on,
our app got slowdowns of up to 10x on certain test cases when we
switched to SP4. We switched back to SP3 at once, of course.

Grrrrr.

--
Brane ─îibej
    home:   <brane@xbc.nu>             http://www.xbc.nu/brane/