apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <i...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: Observations on fragmentation in SMS pools
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2001 18:47:48 GMT
Jon Travis wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 11:27:08AM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
>
>>Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 11:04:09AM -0700, Jon Travis wrote:

[snip]

>I'm still curious about the use case.  I'm sure there is one, if you
>could just enlighten me.  I already know it's 'cool'.

for every page request which comes in, we need to figure out what app is
serving it, and which category it belongs to
(eg... it is a price comparision page for a mobile phone), this
information is used by other modules to determine different things.
(eg... we store info on the category tree so we know that a mobile phone
category is part of  electronics.

so we plug parts of the URI into a hash table and store info about it
for each different category.
now.. the reason we are going with shared memory on this is that there
are ~10,000 (soon to be 60,000) categories on our site,
and we also have other info we store so it blows out to be ~8M->64M of
memory being used just to store this stuff

we 'could' have used a gdbm/db but I think that direct shared memory
would be faster than a file based DB shoved into memory cache.

The other unique application of shared memory that we plan to do soon is
having a state table stored in shared mem to implement a faster setenvIf
module.

..Ian

(ps.. if you can suggest other methods of doing the above, I would be
greatfull for the ideas)