apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <i...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: Observations on fragmentation in SMS pools
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2001 18:27:08 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 11:04:09AM -0700, Jon Travis wrote:
>
>>As for the ability to use shared memory for this ... yeah that is
>>an interesting idea.  What are your actual use cases for that?
>>

>Ian posted a patch to do something like this - I think he wanted a hash
>table that was shared across all processes.  The problem gets to be
>growing the memory space, but I think his use case was with fixed
>memory.  He could probably tell more about how he wanted to do it.

yep... It didn't  had a fixed amount of memory which you specified at
the start, and had fixed element/key sizes
It was implemented using arrays/offsets, so it didn't have to deal with
pointers.

I was thinking mmap'ed files could be used to provide expandability.. ..

hmm... sms - mmap might be interesting..

The code I posted didn't work as well as the current stuff does BTW, I
can put i t up on a website if you would like.