apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Observations on fragmentation in SMS pools
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2001 09:24:52 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> Aaron pointed out that CLR (Cormen/Leiserson/Rivest for those that never
> took algorithms classes) has many memory allocation algorithms.  I'd
> bet we could find one that would work better.  -- justin

At USENIX there was a talk about extending the slab allocator to
multiple CPUs. One of the things in the talk was a thing called vmem,
which is a general purpose resource allocator with low fragmentation and
constant-time allocations (optionally - for more time you can get a
better fit). Sounds pretty good, eh?

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix01/bonwick.html

Cheers,

Ben.