apr-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>
Subject Observations on fragmentation in SMS pools
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2001 07:47:32 GMT
I added some instrumentation to apr_sms_trivial_malloc
to study in more detail where its bottlenecks were.

As a result, I found a few interesting phenomena:

1. The good news is that allocations of small amounts
   of memory are very efficient.  They almost always
   take the fastest path through the code, in which
   some available space is reserved from the
   "sms->used_sentinel.prev" block with a handful of
   pointer arithmetic operations.

2. The bad news is that allocations for larger blocks
   (in the >=8KB range) typically require a call to the
   parent SMS to get data.  On my test machine, I'm seeing
   elapsed times in the 30 microsecond range when this
   happens, compared to less than 1 microsecond for small
   allocations that don't require more memory from the
   parent SMS.  And when an allocation falls through to
   the parent, it often seems to fall all the way through
   to the root SMS (I suspect that 30us includes a malloc).
   The problem seems to be particularly bad for things that
   create subrequests, like mod_include.

3. The worse news is that there seems to be lot of
   fragmentation.  For example, I saw this pattern
   during a server-parsed request:
     - the application code requests 12296 bytes
       from a pool
     - not enough memory is available in the SMS, so it
       requests 16400 bytes from its parent SMS.
     - the parent SMS doesn't have enough free space
       either, so it requests 20504 bytes from the
       grandparent SMS.
     - the grandparent SMS doesn't have enough space
       either, but it has to iterate through 15 blocks
       its free list to figure that out.  Each of these
       blocks has between 8176 and 12272 bytes available.
     - the grandparent calls through to the great-grandparent
       to get 24608 bytes.  The great-grandparent doesn't
       have a block with that much free space, but it
       iterates through 9 blocks in its free list in
       search of one; all of these blocks had 16376 bytes
       free.
     - the great-grandparent thus requests 28712 bytes from
       the great-great grandparent.  The great-great-grandparent
       doesn't have any blocks in its free list, so it calls
       through to its parent, which at last is an SMS that
       does a real malloc.
   This type of pattern may explain the reported higher memory
   use of the SMS-based httpd compared with the original pools;
   there's a lot of memory in those free lists that can't be
   used in this example.

For an SMS that's going to be a parent of other SMSs, we'll
need something with more sophisticated policies for reassigning
freed space than the current trivial-SMS.

--Brian




Mime
View raw message