apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr configure.in
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:52:08 GMT
On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 05:31:54PM -0000, trawick@apache.org wrote:
> trawick     01/07/30 10:31:54
>
>   Modified:    .        configure.in
>   Log:
>   if your system has pthread_mutexattr_setrobust_np()* we'll use it, but
>   we shouldn't require it in order to support cross process pthread mutexes
>
>   (i.e., Solaris)

The issue is that if you don't have robust cross process mutex, you
may get into a condition where you have a bad mutex sticking around
(say after a child that holds the mutex SEGVs).  Bad things start
to happen then.

If we have robust, we definitely want to use it.  I'm not sure whether
we want to use pthread_mutex_t for cross process if we don't have
some form of robust locking.

(Solaris's setrobust_np is non-portable - as the name implies - does
AIX have something similar?  Is it the default behavior?) -- justin