apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: sms_trivial locking Re: missing apr_pool_child_cleanup_set when using SMS?
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2001 06:05:45 GMT
On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 10:50:58PM -0700, Brian Pane wrote:
> But there's a problem with the SMS lock management.
> According to gprof, every call to apr_sms_trivial_malloc
> acquires and releases a lock.

Yup.  I'm working on this right now.  =)  (What I have in my tree
right now isn't in commit shape.)  Email me and I can send you
my tree diff.

I'm debating whether we're getting a win by the SMS stuff or not.
In order to do that, we need to kick out every lock we can.

Right now, I've got it so that most of the locks are now in libc
(aka NIMBY), but the performance still doesn't match pools (by a
factor of 2).  I'm scratching my head as to why this is.
-- justin

P.S. You are using gprof, how?  I tried -pg and it just doesn't
work.  I switched to Forte 6.0U1's collect program now.  It
actually writes out info that I can use (er_print is a bit
awkward though).