apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Problem with Linux 2.4.3 kernels
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:27:55 GMT
In the process of hammering the threaded MPM with flood (which is
threaded too) on a SMP Linux 2.4.3 box, I got processes that were in
a "disk sleep" state.  They are not killable, attachable, or
debuggable.  Some documentation in the kernel refers to this D state
as the "uninterruptible sleep" state.  The only way to remove the
processes is to reboot.  Yuck.

Anyway, it seems to be a bug in the 2.4.3 kernel (maybe earlier?)
kernel.  However, some people reported that it was fixed in 2.4.3-ac5
(see google).  I just upgraded to 2.4.6 (Mandrake's current cooker
series kernel RPM) and I haven't been able to reproduce it yet.

This seems worthy of a README as both Mandrake 8.0 and RedHat 7.1 are
based on 2.4.3 - so I believe they will both exhibit this.  -- justin