apr-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: DCEthreads - cancellation / mutexes is possible
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:59:34 GMT
On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 04:05:20PM -0700, dean gaudet wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > therefore, i conclude that the dce/rpc codebase has successfully
> > implemented thread cancellation in their POSIX/Draft4 thread
> > library.
>
> yes cancellation is in the spec.  i've never denied that.  the problem is
> libraries and code over which we have no control.

hiya dean,

i mentioned earlier that people might like to go over that codebase
[not with a fine-tooth-comb!] to review the techniques used, there,
rather than to actually use the code.

e.g. they have TRY / THROW / EXCEPT / CATCH macros that are
used _really_ extensively throughout the code, and i suspect
that these are a possible reason why MSVC++ adopted these macros
quite so early on [ms reimplemented a wire-compatible and
almost-api-compatible DCE/RPC]

> there's a thread FAQ somewhere which talks about async notification.

ack!