apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@ebuilt.com>
Subject DCEthreads (was Re: Pools in threads)
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2001 07:02:19 GMT
On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 09:05:40AM +0200, Sander Striker wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 01:54:14AM +0200, Luke Kenneth Casson
> > Leighton wrote:
> > > ah, yes, but it _is_ supported by DCEthreads - see
> > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/freedce which provides,
> > > horror-of-horrors, thread cancellation *emulated* on
> > > top of POSIX threads.
> > [snip, snip]
> > > ... but what i am basically saying is, on NT and Unix,
> > > thread cancellation _is_ possible, it's just that i
> > > think you might not be too happy about the coding-route
> > > you might have to take to _do_ it :) :)
> >
> > Possible, but not robust.
>
> DCE/RPC is _very_ robust. That being the case its underlying
> mechanisms are very likely to be robust too.
>
> > And, it would add 3.5 million lines of code to APR.
>
> Nah. It would add the lines to add thread cancellation.  The
> 3.5 million LOC is the _entire_ dce rpc codebase. Only part
> of that is the dce threads library. And, I believe there are
> some old dce/rpc team members in our midst who could know how
> this all fit together. I could be wrong though.

[warning: tangent -- i changed the subject appropriately]

I must admit that it sounds tantalizing, but I have a comment and a
question:

- It appears that the Free DCE package quoted above is under the GPL
  and is therefore incompatible with the Apache License.

- What is meant by "*emulated* on top of POSIX threads"? What are the
  tradeoffs, if any, compared to a implementation that is native to
  the OS?

-aaron