apr-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: crypt() for WIN Patch
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2001 16:55:52 GMT
can i recommend that people read http://advogato.org/articles/302.html

okay, forget that: summary-time.

basically, adding encyption for the purposes of 'authentication
and authorisation' is legal.

AS LONG AS it does NOT have a 'generic' interface that would
allow it to be used by an inexperienced programmer for
the purposes of encrypting user data.

and to this end, samba has an implementation of NTLM
authentication and NTLMSSP encryption, and password
changing, that cannot be used for 'generic data'
encryption purposes, and it IS legal.

luke