apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Threads and their Pools
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:13:30 GMT
It appears to me that APR threads (on unix) are automatically creating a
subpool, and then later destroying it only if/when apr_thread_exit() is
explicitly called. I have a few questions about threadproc/unix/thread.c:

1) How do we guarantee the child-pool is being destroyed? What happens
  if the thread just exits?
  (I don't see anywhere in httpd that is calling apr_thread_exit().)

2) Why are we forcing applications using APR's threads to use pools
  in the first place? Even if we require some sort of allocator to get
  memory from for the thread structures themselves, why are we forcing
  them to be child-pools?

-aaron