apr-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: SMS as Pools Patch
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 13:58:46 GMT
On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 03:03:23PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 10:10:07PM +0100, David Reid wrote:
> > OK, so I've had a couple of +1's for applying the patch, and 2.20 has been
> > released, so anyone object if I do it now?
>
> I'd say go for it.
>
> When one of us gets a chance, we can implement the child_malloc path in
> trivial.  That should remove most of the current complaints about SMS.

so, you want to add apr_sms_child_malloc etc. which makes
SMS a non-trivial API, which is one solution to the problem,
and the other solution is to write a better sms than
apr_sms_trivial.

one solution makes the SMS api quite complex.

the other keeps it simple.

i know that there have been message flying back/forth.
i don't understand them.

please do me a favour: could you write up a clear explanation
of exactly what the purpose of apr_sms_child_malloc is?

because it's very unclear [and i helped _design_ SMS, remember?]
and if it's unclear, i really don't think it's a good idea to
put it in, especially if there are other solutions.

basically, apr_sms_child_malloc is giving me bad vibes - warning
alarm bells are ringing: that's the best way i can put it.

luke