apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: SMS usage patterns, hierarchies
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 20:14:11 GMT
On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 12:01:50AM +0200, Sander Striker wrote:
> I want to discuss this some more to be honest.  There
> are several options we can try and I feel it is best
> to examine more than one, even though one looks like
> the way to go.  A per-CPU free list will be difficult
> to implement for reasons Justin pointed out.
> A per thread free list is a lot easier.  Actually, if
> we use an sms like "tracking" instead of "trivial" we get
> one free list.  If we then use the "threads" sms (which
> I should commit (I'll wait until Davids patch is in))
> as the parent sms of all the top level smss in each
> thread, we get a free list per thread.  But, this
> requires tweaking httpd, which right now is not really
> an option.

Well, what about this:

If pool_create is called with a NULL parent, then let's create a new
thread/trivial SMS (parent is the global pool - aka std SMS - which of
course never needs locking).  Otherwise, everything else is a tracking
SMS that should be descended from a trivial SMS.

I wonder how that would work.  I'll try to implement this tonight.
This shouldn't require any changes to httpd.  Maybe, maybe not.
-- justin