apr-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: exploration of APR goes on
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2001 22:14:11 GMT
> > so there's no means to obtain _current_ user id of running
> > process, only a lookup from a username (or userid).
>
> Not yet.  Nobody has needed that ability so far.  Feel free to implement
> it though.  APR follows a VERY simple rule.  We don't implement a feature
> until it is needed.  :-)

ack!

> One warning, I have no idea how this would work on Windows.  In order for
> this to really be useful, we have to figure that piece out.

yep.

i mean, i can get away with getenv('USER') and to be honest, it
doesn't bother me.  it might bother other people though.

btw, just so you know: i know it _is_ possible else how would
cygwin work?

... and i do know that jeremy had a hell of a time getting setuid()
to work.  it's almost impossible: none of the published APIs
describe how to do it.  you can 'impersonate' an existing context
e.g. ImpersonateNamedPipeClient or similar but you can't
actually do a sudo.  okay, it's been done, recently, and there
does exist SU.EXE, but still.... :)