apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Observations on fragmentation in SMS pools
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2001 18:06:33 GMT
On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 11:04:09AM -0700, Jon Travis wrote:
> As for the ability to use shared memory for this ... yeah that is
> an interesting idea.  What are your actual use cases for that?

Ian posted a patch to do something like this - I think he wanted a hash
table that was shared across all processes.  The problem gets to be
growing the memory space, but I think his use case was with fixed
memory.  He could probably tell more about how he wanted to do it.

Both rbb and I suggested that this is what SMS was designed for.
Have a SMS that is backed by shared memory and then the hashtable
immediately becomes shared when you create it with this shared memory
SMS.  No change needed to the hashtable code.

And, potentially, the scoreboard could (??) get switched to something
using a shared memory SMS.  But, I don't know enough about the
scoreboard to say more about that.  -- justin