apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Travis <jtra...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Observations on fragmentation in SMS pools
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2001 18:04:09 GMT
On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 07:53:56PM +0200, Sander Striker wrote:
> > Stuff that the malloc in glibc does.  I cringe at the thought of how
> > much overhead due to abstraction this whole project is causing.
>
> The other thing this abstraction buys us is the ability to pass in
> different memory to standard APR operations. Hopefully we can get
> shared memory to work in this fashion. I know for sure that we can
> do mlock()'d memory (which might be usefull for security type calculation
> stuff you don't want to go to swap space).

Erm, you could always mlock() the memory that gets passed out of the
pool code.  More than likely, by making some 'secure' pool, you will
be allocating a lot more than just security data from it (as pools
tend to be abused), causing a nice slowdown.

As for the ability to use shared memory for this ... yeah that is
an interesting idea.  What are your actual use cases for that?

-- Jon