apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Observations on fragmentation in SMS pools
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2001 17:56:01 GMT
On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 10:41:12AM -0700, dean gaudet wrote:
> also -- it would be worthwhile for someone to try a version of pools which
> keeps no freelist, and uses malloc()/free() on each block.  i'm guessing
> this is faster in a multithreaded server than us doing a per-process
> global list because malloc() itself already has to deal with
> multithreading, and has all sorts of other optimisations (i.e. it's not
> just a first-fit allocator).  and as an added bonus it'd be worth trying
> www.hoard.org's malloc replacement.

Switch the apr_sms_pools.c to call apr_sms_tracking_create instead of
apr_sms_trivial_create.  (You need the tracking because you will have to
free the memory, so you have to at least keep track of what you have

Also, I did try having the pools use malloc/free directly
(ALLOC_USE_MALLOC) and the performance was dreadful.  At least on
Solaris.  -- justin

View raw message