apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Observations on fragmentation in SMS pools
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2001 17:19:33 GMT
On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 10:14:16AM -0700, dean gaudet wrote:
> an ideal situation for free-lists (blocks of freed, but not free()d
> memory) is one per cpu.
>
> a less ideal situation is one per thread.
>
> an even less ideal situation is one per process (which requires locking).
>
> it's insane to have one per pool :)

I think we're shooting for #2 (less ideal).  Unless someone can come up
with a way to dynamically tell how many CPUs we are running on and bind
a free-list to a specific CPU.

We're currently doing #3 (even less ideal) in apr_pools.c.

And, yeah, the current trivial SMS is doing #4.  =)  But, don't expect it
to stay like that.  And, if we implement the apr_sms_child_malloc, it
gets to somewhere between #2 and #3.  -- justin