apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Victor J. Orlikowski" <v.j.orlikow...@gte.net>
Subject Re: gethostbyaddr, et alia
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:50:11 GMT
Argh. Addressing to the list, plus some changes....

 > > Do we also need to handle gethostbyaddr and getservbyname in the same
 > > manner, for thread safety's sake?
 >
 > when there is such a routine

Can do.

 > > Also, I may be missing some history, but is there a reason that apr
 > > does not yet have an apr_gethostbyname function?
 >
 > see apr_sockaddr_info_get()

Yes, I see. However...
What if we simply want to do a gethostbyname, without all the rest of
the rigmarole required to fill in the sockaddr?

Or, suppose I want to hold onto the hostent produced by the
gethostbyname (which we do, in the proxy, when we are handling
directly connected hosts)? apr_sockaddr_info_get() either uses
getaddrinfo or gethostbyname, preferring getaddrinfo if it is
available.

Or is this considered broken behavior, and should we learn to use the
apr_sockaddr_t, and like it? :)

Victor
--
Victor J. Orlikowski   | The Wall is Down, But the Threat Remains!
v.j.orlikowski@gte.net | orlikowski@apache.org | vjo@us.ibm.com