apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: lengths - brigades v.s. buckets.
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:10:32 GMT

> Ok, I'm back to fixing all the 64 bit off_t discrepancies in APR/Apache.
>
> Can we basically agree that a "Bucket" can never be bigger than apr_ssize_t?
Is the bucked backed by RAM?  If so, then I agree.  file buckets that can be sent down the
chain for
use by sendfile should not have this restriction. If you need, for whatever reason, to MMAP
or read
in the file, then sure apr_ssize_t is a reasonable upper limit (we'll set the actual limit
much
lower in practice).

> I've no problems with using apr_off_t for the length of a full Brigades itself.
> That means we can split a brigade on any apr_off_t, but would only need to
> split a bucket on an apr_ssize_t.  It implies a 'Pipe' bucket can't generate
> more than 2^31 bytes without breaking the code.

I don't follow the comment about a pipe bucket.  Sure, if you attempt to buffer the entire
pipe,
there is a limit and 2^31 is not an unreasonable limit. In practice, we would never attempt
buffer this much.

> This means a huge file would need to be split by the caller into multiple file
> buckets, no longer than ssize_t.  Is this reasonable?

Yes, provided this in no way implies that you cannot have a file_bucket that references an
open fd
to a file of arbitray size.

Bill