apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Accept mutex
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:12:12 GMT
Well, that's it basically. APR chooses what's best on a per-platform
basis, but it might not be the best choice for a per-environment
basis. For example, on my Foobar box, APR may choose FCNTL, but
I've enabled/added semaphores and want to use that. Instead of having
to recompile, it would be nice to be able to simply edit and restart.
Might also be a factor in resource control as well...

Your concern about "if we do this, how do we determine the default
mutex" is a good one, and I've been considering a DEFAULT type which
is the one that APR currently chooses. That way, all would currently
work as is, but people would have the option in httpd.conf to set

    AcceptMutex  fcntl|flock|sysv|pthread|default...

As far as someone choosing a method not supported on that platform,
then an error-no-start or error-choose-default would be the 2
options on how Apache/APR should handle that. I think I'd prefer the
'choose-default' reaction...

At 6:53 AM -0700 6/22/01, <rbb@covalent.net> wrote:

>Could be cool.  But a quick question, what do you expect to gain with
>this?  Is it for experimentation, or do you believe that having multiple
>mutex types will be useful in the same production server?  Would this mean
>that the Apache code would need to try multiple kinds of locks before it
>necessarily found one that worked?

                    "It's *good* to be the King."