apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject nested mutexes
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:16:50 GMT
I guess I'm a day late and a dollar short as usual, but here goes
anyway...

1. It looks to me that on Unix APR mutexes are always nesting if
   APR_HAS_THREADS and APR mutexes are never nesting (subject to their
   underlying implementation of course).  This is not cool.

   How is the application supposed to approach this?  Either the use
   of the mutex requires nesting or it doesn't, regardless of how APR
   or the application are built/designed w.r.t. threads.

2. Why doesn't the app have to request that a particular mutex support
   nesting?  If the app isn't designed to need the nesting then
   allowing a nested mutex acquire to succeed would seem to hide an
   application problem.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...