apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Moving filters out of apache and into apr
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:18:00 GMT

It is possible, but not easy.  The problem is that our filters are tied to
the request and connection req's.  I am not exactly sure how to remove
that dependancy, but it is possible to do it, we just need to give that
topic some thought.

All in all, I am massively in favor of moving filters from httpd to
apr-util.

Ryan

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Sander Striker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First a small example. Lets say I'm implementing an
> SMTP server and a client. For the server I build a
> filter that handles the connection etc.
> Now consider the 'TURN' command. Now I have to make
> the connecting entity (the client) do all the work
> that the server does. I'd like to reuse the filter...
>
> Actually it is not so common that server and client
> switch roles. It just was very convenient for my example.
>
> But, I'd really like to see filters out of apache
> so you can build client code in terms of filters too.
> Or am I talking crap now? (and missing what the filters
> are intended for)
>
> Thoughts? (or enlightenment)
>
> Sander
>
> PS. Please don't throw back the 'if you need it, do it'
>     line. I want to see what other people think first.
>     And if it is _possible_ to move the filters out.

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131