apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [RFC] Network Abstraction Layer - redux
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2001 03:23:20 GMT

> > 2. I gave a pitch about IBM's Fast Response Cache Accelerator (aka AFPA) at ApacheCon
> > few years back. The AFPA implementation on Windows uses it's own socket API (afpa_read,
> > afpa_accept, afpa_send, et. al.).  Again, the NAL provides a clean way for my Apache
> > module to hook the right NAL implementing my specific network io primitives with
the
> > minimum amount of shuffleing httpd code.
> >
> > Can I do both of these with filters? Sure, but the code architecturally ugly as
sin.
> > Allan Edwards solved both of these problems cleanly in early Apache 2.0 iterations
using
> > Dean Gaudet's IOLs. NAL is essentially a scaled back version of Dean's IOLs (NAL
is
> > focused just on network i/o, not filtering). And I know what Luke is talking about
as
> > well.  Windows NT does implement filters (AFPA uses file system filters) in addition
to a
> > network io abstraction layer.  NAL is a great compliment to filters.
>
> So ... why did we drop IOL? :-)

Because they were complex, and couldn't do what they were supposed to do,
namely implement filtering.  They just weren't necessary anymore.  Maybe
they are now, I don't think so, but I am willing to be wrong.  If we do
re-implement them, I would appreciate it if IOL's were easier to debug
this time.  The original IOL's were almost impossible to debug, because
you couldn't get to the underlying transport mechanism.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131