apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [RFC] Network Abstraction Layer - redux
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:32:22 GMT
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> [...]

The problem I have with this code idea isn't that it isn't useful to
httpd.  It is that we have been down this road once, and the model wasn't
flexible enough.  What problem are we trying to solve that the filter
mechanism doesn't solve?  If the answer to that question is "filters are
in Apache, and we want this out of Apache", then move filters out of
Apache.  If the answer is, "We need a better way to abstract the network
for x, y, and z", then cool let's do it.  I haven't heard x, y, and z yet,
and the last time we talked about this, filters could solve any problem
that this model was trying to solve.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131