apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/test testlock.c
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:54:02 GMT

> Hmm, well all the other test apps are using it...
>
> The general rule I'm moving to is that the "output" all goes to stdout,
> error messages to stderr.  So if we have
>
> testing foo
>
> The OK or Failed are both printed on stdout as part of the "output" and the
> error message as to why it failed goes to stderr.  This means we end up with
> something like
>
> testing foo            Failed
> we coudn't do foo : [1001] bar is not supported on this platform
>
> The aim is to move to a script based test run whereby we get simple reports
> of what tests passed and what failed with the output being dumped into a
> file, hence the desire for the distinction.  Of course it'll be a while
> before we get there :)  test_apr.h is the start but there is more support
> needed yet.
>
> If we have to make the change fair enough, but we haven't been using it
> anywhere else in the test apps
>

> BTW, do other people even run them anymore?

We are dealing with history here, sorry.  When I first started to write
the test programs, we didn't have the ability to open stdin, out, and err
and use apr_fprintf.  Therefore, I used printf and fprintf.  David is just
following exactly what we had done in the past.

As for if anybody still runs them, I do.  Though not as often as I should.
I want to improve the test cases, but I have limited time right now.  Some
day soon I hope to get more time.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131