apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: file_setaside()
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:10:30 GMT
On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Greg Stein wrote:

> The setaside() could be called on *really* large files. Calling mmap could
> be a very bad thing. Just dup the FILE bucket and leave it at that. The
> decision to do the mmap can/should come when it becomes necessary.

Okay, I'll change file_setaside() so that it doesn't MMAP the file and
mmap_setaside() so that it doesn't copy into a pool.  That makes me feel
better.

> > > Isn't it just a matter of killing the cleanup associated with one pool
> > > and registering the cleanup with the new pool?
>
> I'm with Ryan: dup the bugger.

It'd be nice if there was an apr_file_t_dup() [if you catch my drift...
I don't know what you'd really call it] that does everything
apr_file_dup() does *except* calling dup().  Then I'd have no problem at
all with this approach.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com