apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: GCC 2.96 optimization bug
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2001 23:43:07 GMT
On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > Thoughts?  Should we just avoid this problem and tell anyone using a
> > default install of Mandrake that they are screwed?  Or, do we just
> > disable compiler optimizations with gcc 2.96?  -- justin
>
> We shouldn't have to work around bugs in beta versions of the compiler.
> If somebody is using a buggy compiler, then they are screwed.  Hopefully,
> this will teach distributions that they have a responsability to use good
> packages when they assemble their dist.

Much as I'd love to agree with you, it seems to me that RHL7.1 and the
corresponding Mandrake distro are widespread enough that we should pay
them attention.  If they're broken and we know how to work around it, I
think we should.  Or at *least* we should warn the user to install a
usable revision of gcc.  Just letting it segfault with no warning at all
doesn't seem acceptable to me.

PS: Don't take this to mean that I think we're responsible for finding all
bugs in the RH distros and accounting for them... I just think that if we
*do* happen to know about one that's as nasty as this then we should try
to inform the user somehow.  <shrug>

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com