apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Sander Striker" <stri...@samba-tng.org>
Subject RE: APR, asserts, policy
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2001 00:14:10 GMT
Hi,

> Okay, let me clarify my position on this.  I apologize for being
> quasi-abrupt earlier.

No prob.

[...]
> As far as a policy goes, I'm not sure of an official one.  Since APR is
> essentially branched from httpd, it really follows httpd policy.  AFAIK,
> httpd has always had this policy.  And, there are VERY few committers -
> I think I might be the exception (maybe not) - who have APR but not httpd
> access - so most people with APR access are aware of httpd policies.

Ofcourse, well, I didn't go looking in that area... :-)

> I should have spotted this from the get-go, but it slipped by.  My fault.
> I'm the one who committed it.  It's a learning experience for all of us.
> Don't worry too much.  Other people will yell and scream if they find
> something wrong.  That's the beauty of open-source.

I'm not at all worried about people pointing out mistakes to one and other.
Not even if the mistakes are mine :-)
My problem was not knowing about the policy and not finding it (maybe I
didn't look hard enough). The trouble with open source is that it sometimes
is a bit chaotic. I must say that apache and apr are rather streamlined
in this light. These projects pay by being a bit bureaucratic once in
a while. But, almost each and every open source project makes the same
mistake (including projects I work on), we fail to document policies and
guidelines properly. Or we forget to place them somewhere people can
easiliy find them. For any new developers on a project this is a hurdle
to take. Since the number of open source developers is not really large
each hurdle is a potential scare away, which is too bad IMHO. [for the
record, if you want to get rid of me, you have a lot more hurdles to set
up :-) ]

Going to sleep soon (2.10 am here...),

Sander