apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Sander Striker" <stri...@samba-tng.org>
Subject RE: Thoughts on locks
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2001 20:13:45 GMT
> > For now, I'll hack together a spin lock prototype to see if it
> yields any
> > measurable improvement in httpd speed.
> >
> > --Brian
> >

> Isn't this simillar to the work being done with SMS and the SMS
> allocater and the SMS trivial thing mentioned a while ago?
>
> if we can removed the 'global/process' free list and changed that to
> a 'thread' free list wouldn't this remove the need for mutexes?

That is exactly what we are trying to do with smss. Actually, you
can even choose an optimal sms for each situation [once we have enough
of them].

I'm waiting for my karma to be good and then I'll commit the 'trivial'
sms I posted about. I'm currently working on a power of 2 sms. I already
have an sms (based on 'trivial') that is suitable to be a parent for
smss passed to threads.

If the spinlocks perform better than the current locks I'm interested
in them too, because sms needs to perform locking sometimes, but that's
obvious I think.

> ...Ian

Sander