apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Sander Striker" <stri...@samba-tng.org>
Subject RE: SMS stuff
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2001 09:09:42 GMT
> I am well beyond 100% in support of the sms schema.  The only
> question is what is which, do we wrap the pool schema in sms,
> or do 'pools' become sms?

I'll try and write up a comparison between the apis in the weekend,
together with how it could be handled _if_ pools are replaced with
sms. If after that people are still not convinced *), I'm starting
to think 'we've tried. no deal. move on.'.

> Greg's argument (and I'm leaning that way) says 'pools are now
> widely deployed'.

I tend to disagree on that. It is 'only' deployed in httpd and
subversion. [not counting apr and apr-util]. If we want to change
things like this, now (read this as _after_ the release of
httpd-2.0) is the time.

> Grow a pool into an sms, don't break anyone's code along the way
> (by making the default sms our beloved pool schema) and we are in
> strong shape.

There is a way to do everything _without_ breaking code along the way.
I'll include that in the thingy I had planned for the weekend.

> Bill

Sander

*) convinced is not the right word here. I'm more looking for open
   to change, but that is also not what I'm trying to say. Damn,
   it is hard to express yourself sometimes when you kind find the
   words... :-)