apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Sander Striker" <stri...@samba-tng.org>
Subject apr-util, crypto and openssl
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:09:28 GMT
Hi all,

As if we weren't having enough discussion on this list
I'll throw in something else...

Could we consider _removing_ all crypto related code
from apr-util (and apr for that matter, since md5
still lives there)? Reason for asking is that there
already is an all purpose crypto library: openssl
(like you didn't know that already...).

This will mean introducing a dependency on openssl
for applications, (and until md5 is replaced by something
that provides randomness, apr too).

If the apr style api is the reason for the code being
in there I will understand, but I'd suggest a separate
apr-crypto library (which effectively would be a thin
wrapper of openssl).

Last reason for removing the code: it prevents requirements
driven fools like me from sending in patches that duplicate
other work :-) Ben assured me that openssl is extremely
portable, so that can't be the issue.

Sander

PS. I do have a crc32 patch laying about (isn't in openssl
    or apr(-util) and it is pretty generic. I think it has
    some use in projects other than ours, but I'm not sure).
    Interested?