apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Pier P. Fumagalli" <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: problem with mod_webapp
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:35:08 GMT
Me dork not reply-ing to ALL :)

Justin Erenkrantz at jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com wrote:

> [ Dropping tomcat-dev, but adding CC to pier to make sure he sees this ]
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 06:00:34PM +0200, jean-frederic clere wrote:
>> I am using normaly using the APR (static libraries) resulting of the
>> httpd-2.0
>> installation. There are always small things to arrange but a part of changes
>> must be done in APR and a smaller part of them in mod_webapp.
>>
>> Using APR sources like httpd-2.0 is dangerous: What will happend when
>> mod_webapp
>> for Apache-2.0 will be available and that httpd-2.0 and mod_webapp use a
>> different APR version sources?
>
> httpd-2.0 doesn't include APR - it just requires that APR to be
> downloaded into a specific directory.  The maintainers on both sides
> need to make sure that what is in APR works for their respective
> projects.  As a conveinence factor, the httpd-2.0 tarballs include the
> corresponding snapshot of APR.  Remember APR has never been formally
> released.
>
>> APRVARS problably need to be improved, but I am not sure using APR sources
>> instead APR installation really helps.
>
> As I understand it, we don't include APRVARS in the installation.  We're
> also not copying over the required mm library when we do an install.  At
> this point, it is almost impossible to use APR in an installed state.
> We need files that aren't being copied over.  Someone who wants to clean
> up the install process is more than welcome to submit patches (I'd
> likely commit them if they don't have commit access), but until APR is
> formally released, I think using APR from an installed directory is
> asking for trouble.  I guess I'd see what Subversion does - do they
> require an "installed" APR, or do they ask for the location of the
> source?  -- justin

That's why I was thinking to include it in the webapp module source
distrib... Easier, and when we'll have to tackle AP2.0, we'll see, or we can
simply do a 2 stage build linking the module against the "httpd" binary
(that works on BeOS, as David Reid told me last week)...

We can "discover" the compilation options, and then find the libraries
already from the Apache 2.0 binary :)

    Pier