apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util/buckets apr_buckets_mmap.c
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2001 19:36:35 GMT
At 03:19 PM 06/26/2001, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
>No.  You can't allocate the MMAP out of malloc.  One of the goals of
>pools is that they allow us to call malloc as little as
>possible.  The MMAP should just get a copy of the filename, and this
>problem goes away.

You'd rather allocate and copy a string and then recreate an MMAP
than call apr_malloc once?  If so, then there's something seriously
wrong with apr_malloc.

>You need to separate MMAPs from buckets.  Buckets are one place
>MMAPs are used, but they are used in other places.

How is adding reference counting to the MMAP type tying MMAPs to
buckets?  They're totally unrelated, except that the bucket is going
to use the MMAP.  There's no coupling the other way.

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu