apr-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Tokarev <...@tls.msk.ru>
Subject Re: inetd-type architecture?
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:05:53 GMT
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

[]
> srvsvcd's job is also to handle the dependencies for service startup.
>
> we could look at the linux kernel 'Calculating module dependencies'
> code to get an algorithm to work out the startup order.

Why, why, why this is needed????  Why not to use runtime linker for
this?  If some service a needs a routine from a service b, and a
explicitly (and I mean: explicitly) knows that, why not link a with
b, like this:
  ld -o a.so a.o ... b.so
?  If it is not obvious that a depends of functionality of b (maybe
because there may be many b's implementations), then place that
functionality to plain (shared) library (that is also have it's own
dependances as well), and again, allow runtime linker to do ITS
job.  Is there runtime linker now that can't load other libraries
when loading some shared object?

Or I completely missed the point here (probably)?

Regards,
 Michael.