apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: APR != HTTPD :) (Was: Re: problem with mod_webapp)
Date Sat, 30 Jun 2001 02:27:43 GMT
On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 12:20:31AM +0100, David Reid wrote:
> Why?  If we have shared libraries available can't it just use those?  I mean
> at present I'm not sure apache can, so this whole area needs some looking at
> yet.

The constant problem on tomcat-dev (and maybe tomcat-user, I don't
subscribe to that) is that people keep running into problems with MM.
mod_webapp is the only program, AFAIK, where APR is expected to be
installed rather than build from the source.

On most Unix-based platforms, APR requires MM (included in the APR
source/tree), but does not include it in libapr.la - you need to also
link against it.  The problem is that this is only noted in APRVARS -
which isn't installed by APR - it only lives in the source dirs.

I kind of think that the only solution to this is to use something
similar to apxs - which is strikingly similar to gtk-config et al -
and even more "helpful" as it defines your compiler, etc, etc.  There
just isn't any standard way of specifying external dependencies that
APR programs should expect.  -- justin