apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: problem with mod_webapp
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:28:46 GMT
[ Dropping tomcat-dev, but adding CC to pier to make sure he sees this ]

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 06:00:34PM +0200, jean-frederic clere wrote:
> I am using normaly using the APR (static libraries) resulting of the httpd-2.0
> installation. There are always small things to arrange but a part of changes
> must be done in APR and a smaller part of them in mod_webapp.
>
> Using APR sources like httpd-2.0 is dangerous: What will happend when mod_webapp
> for Apache-2.0 will be available and that httpd-2.0 and mod_webapp use a
> different APR version sources?

httpd-2.0 doesn't include APR - it just requires that APR to be
downloaded into a specific directory.  The maintainers on both sides
need to make sure that what is in APR works for their respective
projects.  As a conveinence factor, the httpd-2.0 tarballs include the
corresponding snapshot of APR.  Remember APR has never been formally
released.

> APRVARS problably need to be improved, but I am not sure using APR sources
> instead APR installation really helps.

As I understand it, we don't include APRVARS in the installation.  We're
also not copying over the required mm library when we do an install.  At
this point, it is almost impossible to use APR in an installed state.
We need files that aren't being copied over.  Someone who wants to clean
up the install process is more than welcome to submit patches (I'd
likely commit them if they don't have commit access), but until APR is
formally released, I think using APR from an installed directory is
asking for trouble.  I guess I'd see what Subversion does - do they
require an "installed" APR, or do they ask for the location of the
source?  -- justin