apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: CROSS_PROCESS vs. LOCK_ALL
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:55:17 GMT
On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 09:15:54AM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> Aaron Bannert <aaron@ebuilt.com> writes:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > sorry to rekindle this fire, but I want to get this settled and move on.
> >

> > In my previous posts I said that I do not see why there are both
> > APR_CROSS_PROCESS and APR_LOCK_ALL semantics in APR's lock
> > routines. Instead I'd like to see APR_LOCK_ALL go away, and
> > APR_CROSS_PROCESS to provide unconditional cross-process locking
> > regardless of the underlying platform.
> >
> > The problem is that an APR_CROSS_PROCESS lock will behave differently
> > depending on the platform implementation, and this goes against the
> > "portable" part of APR.
>
> I don't have a problem with this.  Sorry for being stupid before :)

I can commit something to APR that tosses APR_LOCKALL - this makes the
locking code a little simpler.  However, httpd-2.0 has some instances of
APR_LOCKALL.  I can post a patch to new-httpd that switches all of those
to APR_CROSS_PROCESS.  Ideally, someone with commit access to both
repositories can apply both of them at the same time.  -- justin