apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Possible race condition in pools WAS: RE: Thoughts on locks
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:51:00 GMT
On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 08:28:41AM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
> I'm in the middle of writing a pool-tester
> which can take a file and pool allocation commands
> (alloc/create/destroy/etc)
> and replay them.
> combine this with some threads, and a capture tool in the current pool
> code and we should be able to test different pooling algorithms easily.
>
> (should be done today)

Yea, please post when you are done!  My gut feeling is that threaded APR
is just awful at pool allocation right now.  =)  If we use SMS, it'd be
nice to have some way of knowing whether we are faster than what we
have now.  Baselines (no matter how sucky) are good to have before
embarking on such a change.  I wonder how the SMS stuff will mix with a
prefork MPM - which never needed locking in the first place.  Be worth
checking out.  -- justin