apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@ebuilt.com>
Subject CROSS_PROCESS vs. LOCK_ALL
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2001 00:12:29 GMT
Hi All,

sorry to rekindle this fire, but I want to get this settled and move on.

In my previous posts I said that I do not see why there are both
APR_CROSS_PROCESS and APR_LOCK_ALL semantics in APR's lock
routines. Instead I'd like to see APR_LOCK_ALL go away, and
APR_CROSS_PROCESS to provide unconditional cross-process locking
regardless of the underlying platform.

The problem is that an APR_CROSS_PROCESS lock will behave differently
depending on the platform implementation, and this goes against the
"portable" part of APR.

(I'll post a patch for this as soon as Jeff and others are done making
their changes.)

-aaron