apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: GCC 2.96 optimization bug
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2001 03:07:02 GMT
FWIW, I can't seem to reproduce the problem now.  I know that I was
getting odd things last night, but I can't seem to get it to happen
again today.  Grr.  I feel silly.  I could put a note in the STATUS
file that we've seen some oddities with GCC 2.96.  I swear I wasn't
making it up - I *was* getting segfaults because it was trying to
allocate too much memory (the size returned from elem_size() was
corrupt).

I do think it is something to keep an eye out on though.  I do think
Ryan's point of placing a fatal error in the autoconf routine might be
the best thing for us to do.  Force these guys to only distribute
released compilers.

But, once I can solidly reproduce the bug, we can then take appropriate
action.  For now, I'll keep a look out for odd things like this.  Oh,
well.  -- justin