apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: GCC 2.96 optimization bug
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2001 08:09:11 GMT
On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 07:42:28PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> I just ran across a compiler bug when dealing with long long in the GCC
> shipped with Mandrake 8.0 (Intel).  When -O2 is specified (it's in the
> default), it seems to lose the upper 32 bits of the 64 bit integers.
> (I was playing with the XML code in apr-util and the return values from
> elem_size() were corrupted.)  Removing -O2 fixes this.

FWIW (and as expected), GCC 3.0 doesn't exhibit this problem with the
-O2 flags set.

Any thoughts as to what we should do?  It is a buggy compiler, but a
fairly popular "stable" Linux distro has this compiler installed by
default.  I believe (at one point) RH 7 included GCC 3.0 CVS
snapshots.  I wonder if other distributions are affected by this
problem.

And, it looks like the -O2 flag is coming from the autoconf distribution
itself (/usr/share/autoconf/acspecific.m4).  So, this doesn't look
directly configurable in our autoconf scripts (unless we replace
AC_PROG_CC).  -- justin