apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject GCC 2.96 optimization bug
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2001 02:42:28 GMT
I just ran across a compiler bug when dealing with long long in the GCC
shipped with Mandrake 8.0 (Intel).  When -O2 is specified (it's in the
default), it seems to lose the upper 32 bits of the 64 bit integers.
(I was playing with the XML code in apr-util and the return values from
elem_size() were corrupted.)  Removing -O2 fixes this.

% gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux/2.96/specs
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Linux-Mandrake 8.0 2.96-0.48mdk)

This is a fairly old snapshot.  I am building gcc-3.0 now and going to
see if the problem still exists (unlikely).  Even if it doesn't, we
probably need to stick something in autoconf to avoid optimizations
with this buggy compiler.

Silly distros shipping beta compilers (2.96 was never a released
version).  This is lame.

Thoughts?  Should we just avoid this problem and tell anyone using a
default install of Mandrake that they are screwed?  Or, do we just
disable compiler optimizations with gcc 2.96?  -- justin