apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@ebuilt.com>
Subject apr_lock.h lock scope question
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:01:41 GMT
I apologise if this was already discussed, but I'm curious why there
are three scope types instead of just two?

(from include/apr_lock.h:103)

 * @param scope The scope of the lock to create, one of:
 * <PRE>
 *            APR_CROSS_PROCESS    lock processes from the protected area.
 *            APR_INTRAPROCESS     lock threads from the protected area.
 *            APR_LOCKALL          lock processes and threads from the
 *                                 protected area.
 * </PRE>

Also the note further down:

 * @tip APR_CROSS_PROCESS may lock both processes and threads, but it is
 *      only guaranteed to lock processes.

I'm just curious if there actually are scenarios where an apr_lock_t
is usable across processes but not in the same process?

-aaron